Monday, February 11, 2008

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron

One of Ohio's most beautiful herons is also one of our rarest. The number of breeding pairs of Yellow-crowned Night-Herons in the state could probably be counted with the fingers of both hands, with change to spare. This southern wader is at its extreme northern limits here, and while we're probably not finding all of the nesters, it is without doubt quite the rarity.


The most famous of the Ohio Nyctanassa violacea are the Bexley nesters. These birds have their nests in the large boughs of mammoth sycamores shading a side street in upscale Bexley, a posh neighborhood on the east side of Columbus. Hundreds of birders have been to visit.


I was going to post some pictures of the fascinating Prong-billed Barbets that I encountered in Costa Rica, but then my friend Marty Sedluk sent along some of the results of his photographic work with the Bexley herons from last summer. Thus, the barbets have been temporarily preempted. Marty is taking some amazing natural history photos, and when I saw the following photos, I just had to share them. Thanks for allowing me to use, them, Marty.


1 comment:

The Man in the Middle said...

Come on down to Houston. The rookery in front of and to the left of my house has 5 birds so far. Last year we probably had 10 nesting pairs.

I am trying to blog what I see, but blogging is still new to me.

http://yellowcrownednightherron.blogspot.com/

You find them beautiful. Of course, the ones I have seen up real close have been fledglings and they are so ugly I think the mommas kick them out of the nest.

Cheers

Dan