Sunday, September 19, 2010

Common Buckeye

Common Buckeye, Junonia coenia, Pike County, Ohio, September 18th, 2010

This has been a banner year for this immigrant from the south. Buckeyes are seemingly everywhere, and even non butterfly enthusiasts are noting them. As common as the photo opportunities have been this season, I still hadn't managed a very good shot until yesterday.

A few factors work against the shooter of Buckeyes. One, these eye-spotted leps are hyper-vigilant and quite flighty, often darting off rapidly before one can get very near. Two, they often pose in less than desirable situations, such as on the ground, and the background looks terrible.

But this one was nice enough to tee up in a fairly photogenic spot, and allow me a decent photo of one of our more striking butterflies.

4 comments:

Dan Huber said...

very nice.

Anonymous said...

Jim, I must have seen them in the hundreds in August at Point Mouilee St Game Area (Monroe co. Michigan). A few around our house in Fenton (near Flint) in August as well. Farthest north I've seen them was one at Whitefish Point Bird Observatory in the Upper Peninsula about 10 years ago.
Jeff Buecking

Unknown said...

Prior to this year, I found myself wondering how the "Common" Buckeye got its name, as they were never very easy for ME to find. This year, however, they are regular visitors to my prairie dock, woodland sunflower, but especially to my sedum. Silver-spotted skippers are numerous as well. Really enjoy your blog, Jim!

Wren nests in... said...

Congratulations on a wonderful photo (and the patience to keep trying)! I didn't have the heart to photograph the still-able-to-flutter-a-bit one who was an apparent victim of the highway on which I live... :o(

Great turn-out of buckeyes here in Cape May County, NJ, this past week as well. Does anyone officially track mass movements like this, or does it all become merely anecdotal?

Oh, and have you heard about our monarchs---? *lol*