Sunday, March 13, 2011

Another owl goes postal!

A red morph Eastern Screech-owl peers from a Toledo mailbox. As noted on the box, this owl has been approved by the Postmaster General. I am beginning to wonder if these owls are traveling to and fro from Hogwarts, carrying mail for Harry Potter and crew.

Since posting the last postal owl, I've heard from a few other people regarding screech-owls that have taken a shine to mailboxes. The great photo above comes courtesy of Mary Kay Solt, who snapped the little fellow in her Toledo neighborhood about a month ago.

Thanks to Mary Kay for sharing her work, and to Cathy Wilson for making me aware of this mail owl. Now, if anyone finds a Snowy Owl crammed in one of these boxes, PLEASE let me know!

3 comments:

rebecca said...

Too cute! I know it's anthropomorphic of me, but I love how Screech Owls always look like they're really pissed off about something.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This just confirms to me that these little owls need more nesting/resting holes.

Kah-Wai Lin said...

Nice blog!

Kah Wai
http://kwbirding.blogspot.com/